Monday, March 06, 2006

Truman & I

I loved the book, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I read it in highschool and never forgot it. A weird thought crosses my mind now watching the Oscars and I wonder if subliminally I named True after him. The thought was planted there long ago though I never thought about it in 2004. Truman Capote was such a fantastic character. I remember seeing him on Johnny Carson in the 70's and being mesmerized by his presence. The white suit with hair to match, funny little glasses and a voice from another world. I admired him.

I didn't see Capote and when I saw a clip from the film I thought to myself, Philip Seymour Hoffman may be good, but truly, only Capote could do Capote. Yet now I find myself admiring Hoffman more. It was a little thing called the acceptance speech.

Capote and I don't relate on any level save for the dream to be a good writer, a scathing commentator or Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. I guess that's something. Hoffman? He can just come right on over and sit his oversized arse down on my lap. One of the aspects of his speech was when he thanked his mother. She raised four children alone and did it well, leading a round of applause from the audience.

He then went on to relate how she took him to his first audition in grade school and another time when she stayed up watching The Final Four with him. She did it all, he said and he didn't know how. He raised the Oscar in her direction and saluted her. It was so touching to me, I cried as Snowflake sat curled up on my lap snuggling on top of the fuzzy frog blankie.

Hoffman sent me a beam of light. I swelled with hope and happiness, feeling a reassuring touch that I am Snowflake's mother. I can do this and I can do this well. I only have one little boy to care for and nurture. That makes my odds pretty damn good. And if it weren't for Truman, I probably wouldn't have been paying attention.

Thanks Truman! And the Oscar for best female in a supporting role goes to me !

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

True is damn lucky to have a mamma like u! He will grow up feeling loved, nurtured, and empowered! The Oscar goes to you and to all the other mammas out there who raise their child/children with unconditional love and support.

Anonymous said...

Call me a blithering idiot but I'm confused as to the proper usage of me or I in the title of this post. English major, ha! I've read things that make sense for both, damn it. Now I'm flipping back to the original title. Help!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have True. He has been your special blessing, at just the right time in your life. Your love for him shines through so bright in your writings and pictures. I miss not seeing you and Snowflake in person to share the joy with. (and cry over french fries with)

Anonymous said...

Hey woman, right now you get the Oscar for the LEAD performance, not just the supporting role. You're leading him, teaching him, nurturing his emotional and spirital growth. You're preparing him to be a good man, husband and father. When he's all of these, you'll take the supporting role.

I'm positive that you'll get an Oscar for both roles!

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful mother. The stories you tell of True shows what a smart and sweet little boy he is. You are doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

Geez, I feel like Sally Field, you like me, you really like me! Seriously, though, thanks alot. It means more than you know because it's just the two of us and my family is small and weird at times so it's nice to know that someone thinks we're doing alright because we don't get alot of feedback!