Thursday, March 23, 2006

Art Forms


I took some of my drawings to class. I decided on the big colorful yet sinister devil head with forked tongue swirling out of his mouth. It was met with a bevy of flabbergasted astoundment. They liked it, they did. And then I showed them a mrclean
drawing of a greasy looking character starring in "A Woman's Life", Your Typical Slimey Bastard, Rated "R" for Right On! Then there was my modernist drawing of Mr.Clean.

Her consensus was that I should be going for cultural things. Like Chinese, Mexican or Native American. I should find a legend or tale that is now in the public domain and reinterpret it. She mentioned "Little Black Sambo" and I was thinking Whhaaaa?! Then I read the tale and I thought hmmm, cool but I really don't know if that is me and isn't Little Black Sambo considered politically incorrect?

Looking at these drawings I just don't see it. Maybe my use of color in some way? I cannot draw things realistically so I'm just wondering how I would draw some folk tale. I had a pop art story about a naughty baby in mind, maybe my audience is completely different. In any case I'm going to try her suggestion.

I'm thinking I could have alot of fun with Japan, the northwest Haida, like Emily Carr-ish, Native American. I am drawn to Haida art and even made a sculptural rug featuring a Haida style whale when I spent a stint in Portland at the Corinthian Rig Company. It would be so strange to write a book about some aspect of Native America and dedicate it to Snowflake. I would have never guessed that might be something I'd do. She suggested I send out samples to a certain 'zine in Duluth that is strictly GRRRL. She also said my elephant drawing would make for a great submission postcard.

I guess I feel pretty good about the experience considering I've never shown this stuff to anyone until tonight. What the hell. Why not? Try something new. I'm excited by all of this. All of these drawings are a little old so I'm anxious to do something fresh. I had a bannana split for the very first time tonight. It was an experience. Tasty, but now I feel like yaking.

My secret likes lately have been Taco Bell Crunch Wrap Supremes (no meat, +guac) and my ever growing addiction to The Amazing Race. I think the Godfather and I should do it(enter the race). He speaks three languages plus english for the love of Jefferson Davis! Secretly I've been thinking about children. My mom said I should ask the Godfather for a turkey baster donation and I told her nah, we'd just do it. Yeah, right Paulie.

I'm kind of selfish too. By selfish I mean that I don't want to have to share myself with someone else and Snowflake. He deserves all of me, all the time. I am in perfect harmony with that. I have more intelligent conversations with him than most people I know. I don't understand women who have children and then abandon them for perpetual habitual nights out or any excuse they can come up with for an escape from baby.

Fuck radical feminism. I'm sick of all the chips on everyone's shoulders. Some argue feminism is the cause for the breakdown of society. Do you forget that you get only one chance to raise the person of someone's dreams? Call me old fashioned, but you can't have it all, something's got to give and it's usually the children. For me, it feels un-natural to be away from Snowflake, period.

Above all, I am a Mother. It was what I was meant to be not just physically, but spiritually. Biologically possible across the human spectrum, in practice, a rare art form mastered by few. I aspire to make dreams come true.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I just walked through a gallery on Davidson college that made me question the idea of political correctness in historical narratives and myths. Anyway the work is pretty interesting so I though I would pass along the web site. http://www.macfreeman.com/galleries/paintings.html

Anonymous said...

It's always so fascinating to see other's works. I have so much admiration for people who can express themselves artistically. Even when I see work that doesn't move me, it so interesting that people have stuff in their brains that has to come out. I'm looking at your work and wondering "why did she choose those colors, why the triangles, why that shape?" I'm fascinated. I wouldn't even think to draw things differently from how they actually look in my eyes.

I love your perpsective on being a mom. You're so absolutely right that you only get one chance to prepare your child for the rest of his life. Kids aren;t here to fulfill us, they're our responsibility. We choose to bring them into the world and we owe them the best we can give.

I get so tired of hearing women bitch that they hit a glass ceiling once they have kids, that they're "punished" for leaving work earlier than others. They think they should have their cake and eat it too. And they do, they get to have their "fulfilling careers" and they get their families. Nobody owes it to them to get absolutely every fucking thing they want. Right now, I can work late, I can do more. When I have kids, I'll be happy to give up opportunities for advancement in exchange for time with my family.

Okay, getting down off my soap box.

Anonymous said...

Hellllloooooo Dose! Thanks for the link! Thanks for stopping by. Thank you thank you thank you!!!! What an amazing artist. I have to say I'm really excited about reading more about him and when I first saw the drawings, I immediately thought this was an artist I identified with in style and perspective and color! Feel free to post more great links anytime, I totally appreciate it. I could never compare to such a great artist, but I can dream and try!

I should have been clearer...this class is for children's storybook illustration. I'm a little out there I guess considering most people brought beautiful drawings of bunnies, frogs and little boys. I just like to create colorful visual images that function more as eye candy rather than having any deep meaning behind them. My motivation is purely visceral.

Amen, Lotus, Amen, sista! I don't mind you soapboxing if you don't mind mine once in awhile. You and I can just hang out over here on this bench in the playground and talk major character flaws, eh?

Anonymous said...

hee hee. We'll spend summers on your park bench and winters on mine :)(we'll hit low temps of 50, max)

So, are we talking about our character flaws or those of the other moms? We'll do ours first, then we can tsk tsk the moms who think they should be their child's entertainment and best friend at the expense of being the parent.\

Good to know what the illustration class was geared towards. Since there were so many cute fuzzy artists, you'll be able to stand out and provide a different perspective.

Weird, I just remembered that I was reading a short story that my niece wrote many moons ago. It was too cute, I'll have to scan it and post it someday. Someday...

Anonymous said...

It's sad, but the other mothers. Have you ever watched mothers and their kids? You get the dynamics quickly. Sometimes I just want to YELL at these mothers, but really it's not my biz. Although I would HAVE to step in if she was being out right cruel and verbally abusive. It's amazing what you see in public.

Anonymous said...

You are a true blue artist.
I see Dose left you a little link. Maybe one day Dose will come by my place and hook me up??

Anonymous said...

I practically spewed my coffee when i read about the "turkey baster"...fuck that....we'll do it the old-fashioned way...I want you to experience all..uhmmmm....10 inches of me.....oops! did I just say that....maybe that's a good blog subject.....
Men and their fish tales...from a woman's perspective.