Thursday, March 23, 2006

I'm Just Wild About Snowflake


This morning I took Snowflake to his two year check up. It was the usual riggarmarole. The assistant who weighs him comments on how cute she is and I have to say thanks, he appreciates that. She apologizes and says they have another little girl with the same name. Whatever.

They ask me again if he's eating meat and I tell them for the eightieth time we're vegetarians. Does he still get a bottle? A fake nipple has never graced his lips as I remind them that he's heading down the trail of self weaning. Then she goes on to say that typical two year olds speak in two word sentences and asks me if he does. I started to laugh because he actually speaks in four to six word sentences. I had no idea but but she said his language is way far ahead of his age. That made me happy.

We went West out into the countryside on a little adventure in search of a cabinet showroom owned by Mennonites. Nana is looking for all the trappings for her new construction set to begin in July. Snowflake had a great time and the guy(he sounded exactly like Tom Hanks) was very cool about him being on top of the counter and in the sink acting like the monkey he is.

We had lunch at the Thorpedo, a cozy retro diner owned by the same family for over 40 years. It was high-noon and Snowflake decided to entertain the crowd with a little acapella karaoke. It's strange, because I don't remember singing this song to him recently. I think it's been over a year. All of a sudden he starts singing-

"Call Me Mello Yellow, That's Right! Call Me Mellow Yellow, That's Right!"

He wasn't exactly in tune and he didn't have that last part exactly right, but I was stunned! I looked on beaming that golden glow towards him. People were enamored of him. One lady pleaded for me not to cut his hair. You would have thought he was the Baby Elvis or something. I was thinking what a cool six word sentence.

All I can say is I'm just wild about Snowflake and he's just wild about me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, love the monkey pants! It's so great that Snowflake get enough interaction to spur on his verbal skills. It's great when parents don't dumb down their speech to their kids and use baby talk.

Anonymous said...

Looks like little Zutano pants! Cute! So what's his stats? My dovebar is really really big for her age. At her 15 mo. appt, she was 31lbs and almost 34 in. Makes me sad, she was so small when she was born 7lbs. :(( Not a little one anymore.

Anonymous said...

My littel butterball is exactly her size, sister! How strange is that?! Maybe you have a future Suspermodel on your hands! I know how you feel about making you sad... but just wait, it gets better! Seriously, the blossoming in language and communication is mesmerizing. I cannot wait ot hear what Princess Sofie has to day once she starts putting it all togther.

He wore these monkey pants for his first birthday last year, yeah, yeah, i may be the mother of a future Michael J. Fox. I had them made for him by a lady that lives somewhere in Washington. She sells on eBay. At least he's got long wear out of his togs. That's something because as boys get older, the clothes just get uglier unless I won the Oilily lottery.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, just because I can't spell this morning DOES NOT mean I've been drinking!

Anonymous said...

Snowflake is the cutest!! Who can resist him?!