Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Our Day of All Days

Last evening, Snowflake and I attended our first Kindermusic class. It was fun and I can tell he is going to blossom in this atmosphere. Then there was Timothy. Timothy is two and a half, devastatingly cute, the son of bashful fiftysomething parents. She is a very attractive Asian lady with shoulder length thick black bobbed hair. He is curly salt and pepper with an Austrian accent.

Timothy is running the show in that household, howling with the wolves and marching to his own drum. He was so animated he made Yosemite Sam look like a geriatric. 'Miss Angel' reassured them that it was fine that he couldn't sit still, but things became slightly distracting when lil' Timmy began to catterwal a loud yelping sound as he ran around the room, eventually opening up the door, slamming it and disappearing from the classroom. His parents just sat there momentarily, as if resting peacefully and taking a mini vacation. Then they were all gone, like they spontaneously combusted. I wonder if they will be back next week?

The class was fun but I felt inhibited. It's a big sing-a-long. Miss Angel and Miss Erin lead and sing the songs all of which reminded me of that song from the 60's by the Singing Nun. Funiculi or something like that? Completely castrado.

Leaving the Conservatory, we headed to The Mandarin for a delish birthday feast. We had a pleasant time together. It was late for the bambinos so Sid and I exchanged gifts in the parking lot and I headed to Big Pappy's and Nan's because Snowflake was determined to play some pool before the evening was over.

Courtesy of the padres I am the owner of a brand spankin' new Oral-B Triumph. No worries! I'm just "not that into it" much in that way. This morning I was stunned after using it. I seriously saw a sparkley twinkling glint reflecting off my canine as I smiled into the mirror. Somewhere a chime rang out.

I was suprised to open my present from my brother and find a Fajita Set. Yes, that's right, cast iron skillets with two wicker holders, a tortilla warmer and a small recipe book containing ideas for meats galore. I'm thinking he must still be hitting the kind hard! I delicately told him I would have no use for such a treasure and didn't want him to squander his hard earned greenbacks on such a regalo.

I bought him a gorgeous Michael Kors shirt and BCBG tie, a pound of truffles, The Art Book and a one handed spring action pepper mill. I thought he could take it with him everywhere he goes. His servers usually develop wrist dislocations or incur rediculous amounts of overtime from cranking the mill at his table.

Tonight he invited me over for some 'other presents'. He said he didn't want me to feel bummed out. I think he felt bad about the carnivores delight. We enjoyed a couple of quenching skunky Coronas with lime. It was great to spend time with him. I can remember when I was five years old and it was my birthday. I couldn't quite understand why I got dumped at my Polish granny's. She had this baby blue rotary phone which I now have in my bedroom and I remember my dad calling me on it and telling me that I had a new baby brother for my birthday. I told him to send him back, I didn't want him!

Maybe it's only once a year when I focus and reflect on it, but I love my lil' bro, my Aquarian five years apart twin. Katroo and life are especially festive on our day of all days. He is an artist, a musician, a father, a dreamer and somebody I would never send back, not in a million, trillion, gazillion years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ms. Mamma! Sounds like you had a nice time. I took me a minute to remember that you're vegetarian. Yeah, a fajita set might not be the most useful thing. But, I bet Chidler would LOVE some fajitas.

I'm currently into watching Project Runway; Michal Kors is one of the regular judges. He can be such a bitch. I guess it's like hot dogs, you don't wanna see how they're made.

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure I heard the chime here. It was kind of like a bbllllllllling! Glad kindermusic was a good "fit" for you guys. That poor family, I hope they give it another shot!

Anonymous said...

Yes, MK is quite the lil' blowbag. Doesn't it just seem like people get crabby n' crusty as they age? I love that show. I try to catch it at work when I can. Thanks!