Sunday, April 30, 2006

Anxious Negativity

Could I possibly feel more sensitive right now? Watching Grey's Anatomy tonight I realized something. I am too emotionally involved with this program. Frickasee! Not only did I want to hurt a recently pregnant woman, I almost dropped dead at the new found total hot sexiness of a thirtysomething Chris O'Donnell as McVet. Holy McHump Me, Batman!

What really bothered me though, was the hype for "Bird Flu In America". Do we really need another 'what if' or 'it's only a matter of time' freak out for the fine citizens of this fair country? The thought of my sweet dear SF having to deal with such a fucked up possibility just breaks my heart. At home in the left wing, I am so into conspiracy theories. I find it bizarre that there is an odd outbreak of the mumps in the midwest right now.

Secret test runs and small scale scenarios are enough to set off the Yosemite Sam in me. Certainly you can't blame the sheep, they are just going about their business, making chicken shit into chicken salad. As long as they have the makings of the salad they will be fine, why challenge the status quo? It's a complete 180 from the person that realizes the bullshit of the situation, because although in most cases you can't actually DO anything about it, you are aware of it and that is everything. Make your decisions accordingly.


, , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get that way sometimes when I watch too much news, and there are certain shows I cannot watch. Medical dramas, I cannot watch. I haven't tried Grey's Anatomy yet, though the peer pressure is starting to get to me, and I may try it soon...

I was just listening to a show on my iPod, "To The Best of Our Knowledge", which I think is produced in Wisconsin...it's on twice a week. This show is about negativity, and how dangerous a steady diet of bad news can be. They don't suggest being Pollyhanna-ish or anything, but maybe taking the good along with the bad. One guy suggested the newspaper be divided in half...left side good news, like dropping crime rates, etc. Right side, bad news, like bombings and so on. Both are important, and to focus too much on one or the other isn't healthy, for individuals OR a culture. Interesting.

Anonymous said...

I love Grey's Anatomy...the actors are all so dreamy! I have actually shed a few tears during some of the episodes. I missed the last couple of episodes so you will have to bring me up to speed. How about we catch up tonight?

Anonymous said...

Love, LOVE, LUUUURVE, my NPR! Sunday's especially! I used to read three newspapers a day and watch CNN etc. I stopped. I think since SF was born I just seem to have turned on the positivity. Last night was just one of those moments you allow yourself.