Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Au Revoir, les au poivres!

It's my third day of fasting. I feel good, energetic and I seem to be thinking alot about steak. While it's true I'm a vegetarian, I still enjoy the smell of the neighborhood as it's denizens fire up the grill to feed their inner carnivores. One of the reasons I became a vegetarian was to see how I felt physically.

Whenever I would eat a steak I wouldn't take a 'dump' for days. My whole body slowed down and I felt sluggish. I read somewhere once that red meat actually has to rot in your GI tract to be digested. Dino elaborated on the mindblowingness of pooping. I couldn't agree more. Poop is very important, just ask any new parent or any oldster just how gratifying it can be. Isn't good pooping universally loved by all?

Back in my meat eating heyday, my constipation wasn't enough to stop me from my beloved 'au poivre'. I'm feeling very kind in my abstinence so I will share my former passion for which I am famous in my family. In fact, some still beg me to make it. My secret is revealed.

Note: It is essential to have a heavy cast iron skillet(my secret, shhhh) for success here.

1. Buy the absolute best Filets you can find.

2. Season them to your liking, fork them a bit and stuff them with fresh slivers of garlic.

3. Prepare a fresh pile of cracked black peppercorns, grind them as fine as you prefer. I suggest a medium uniform grind.

4. Coat the filets in the peppercorns. I personally like ALOT as it forms a nice crust when you sear it.

5. Heat up that heavy cast iron skillet to medium high heat. Throw in some butter, melting it. Place the gorgeous little dressed up beauties in the pan. Look out as they will sizzle, searing in their vital juices. Leave it cook for SEVEN minutes and then flip them over for another seven. (this timing yields a nice juicy red center)

6. Remove them from the pan. Deglaze (ie- pour the wine into the pan and swish it around) the pan for a minute or two with the Port wine (1/4 cup + a smidge) of your choice, stirring to loosen any yummy bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.

7. Plate the steaks and pour the pan drippings equally over them and enjoy with some tasty 'shrooms and a romaine lettuce salad. Enjoy!

Simple, quick and DE-LISH!

Turning away from 'puter as a tear rolls down my cheek in rememberance, back to my bottle of agua. Seven years, seven years.




, , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of the rib eye steak myself, but it sure sounds like this recipe could translate pretty well.

I'm glad you still have energy! Seems like the fast is working well for you.

And a good poop is completely under-rated...especially beloved by those with constipation problems. Luckily I don't suffer from that problem...we eat our meat with LOTS of veggies on the side.

Anonymous said...

Funny thing about steak, I personally never have pooping problems even while pregnant (thank you hemroid gods!) but I have noticed that when we have steak at our house and Mason eats it, it always means a rough night of sleep. I'm guessing because it is so hard to digest it keeps him up! Just thought I'd share and try to keep the reply out of the gutter. (wink)

Anonymous said...

I never had a problem, unless I ate a big hunk of meat. From an early age I was never a big meat eater and completely abhirred things like meatloaf, beef roast, ham and pork tenderloin. Pepperoni and bacon? Now that's another lost, sad love affair. Although I do eat fake bacon from time to time.

I know my french sucks, but I was just going for assonance here.

My little fertitlity Goddess, you are very blessed, indeed.


I think this would work well with a variation on ahi tuna(another love). Except use toasted sesame seeds and definitely lower the searing time. Yum yum... now I'm gonna go have a bottle of water. Feeling good, feeling good, seriously.

Anonymous said...

Thank you my dear for the mouth watering steak recipe. I actually just bought some ribeyes yesterday to cook for hubby, today he gets back from Atlanta, I can hardly wait to sink my teeth into those steaks and some stuffed peppers.
One day we should do a fast together, hon, let me know.
Take care...