Monday, April 17, 2006

Tweeeeeeeet!

One of the weird things my brother and I have done for the past ten years or so is add "bird" or "bear" to someone's name. It's like our own Polish version of the spanish -ito or -ita. Big Pappy calls his dog Yasha. Therefore, my brother gave him the name "Yasha Bear". Me, I was always "Heidi Bird or Ho-Ho Bird".

In our family we never used the term "Nana". I came to the conclusion that it was much easier to say than grandma and much cuter. So when Snowflake busted on to the scene, he had a Nana. I started calling her "Nana-Bird". Now he calls her Nana Bird. Then there's Yasha Bird. Sometimes there exists a grandpa Bird, but not often.

When he was brand spankin' new I made up a song that went like this:

Bay-beeeee bird, you're my bird
Bay-beeeee bird, you're my bird
And I loooooooove you.
REPEAT Again & Again & Again & Again & Again

It's kind of vaudevilley-show tune-y or sung kind of jazzy and smokey. Sometimes he would get very bashful, bearing a mouth full of drool and gums as he cracked a sweet smile, while I gazed into his eyes and cooed this to him. He was blushing.

Last week we were getting ready to leave for the park and I was shocked when from out of the blue he said,

"Mamma Bird go to car wash with Trueby today?"

Now it's Mamma Bird this and Mamma Bird that.

Yes, I am "The Mamma Bird".

It's so tweeeeeeet.

, , , ,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, so very sweet. He may not yet know the mamma bear that lurks inside. Soo, what kind of bird would you be?

Anonymous said...

Way too cute, Mama bird. :)

Maya doesn't call Ted Dad or Daddy, she made up her own word, Dado. We love that.

Anonymous said...

I would definitely be a raven or a vegetarian Black Crow(yeah right). I love crows. I love being called the Mamma Bird, but I always get this regurgitation picture in my mind, gross! Dado is so cute and sweet! I dread the day when SF asks about his... I've already started to read books.

Anonymous said...

Hey, what kind of birds would you be?

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I don't know much about birds. I always loved Heckle and Jeckle, though. I think if I were some type of animal it would be a big gorilla. The kind of animal that kind of sits back, watches the action, gets involved when needed, picks bugs out their fur. Given my preoccupation with hair removal, though, I'd look pretty funny with a bare bikini area, legs, and face.

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! Mamma Bird!

My dad's nickname was Bird. I never knew why.