Friday, April 14, 2006

Blockage


Like my fellow sweet preggo neighbor gal, I'm just not feeling the bloggin' love lately. What used to come so freely is now like pulling the rotted nibbed teeth of a crackhead turned prison inmate. You just can't get any leverage. Din-din. I am addicted to S'Mores flavored Luna Bars. They remind me of my long lost discontinued Mocha bar from Starbuck's. It's close, but no cigar. Wednesday night I had my illustration class and I wasn't going to go. I was feeling like my old half assed, screw it, who cares self. If there's someone you need to not finish something you started, just call me. I'm a total pro at going gung-ho and fading out to a slow trickling peter. I can make you feel all better. Just put the blame on me boys, put the blame on me.

I went anyway and presented my comp which is one colored illustration from the series of pages from the book. It was unusual and had it's own style but I was feeling embarassed for not giving my all to the project. At least a picture of the moon came out of this night.

There is such talent in this little group of denizens. There's Sal who makes the most amazing collages from her own paper. She's a total dynamo, a formally trained artist that used to be in the realm of high end printing, now turned children's coat designer and mother of two. Tom is a graphic designer who really should be designing graphic novels for kids, adults or anyone with a fancy for quirky gorgeous ink drawn characters. He brought his personal sketchbook to class. I told him what an amazing gift that will be for his little nine month old son one day. Then there's Shirl. Her work is incredibly fine, fine, fine, drawing realistically. There's one more lady who is amazing as well.

I'm an outsider. My work is definitely whimsical and eclectic. We'll just leave it at that for now. Sometime I'll post one of my pages. Trying to find quality art supplies around here is like trying to find a cannoli...they just don't exist.

What does exist is a big bottle of Ciroc Vodka and a container of Organic Valley OJ SF is passed out from our brutal five mile hike so I'm going sailing. Aye aye, maties!

ps... if you're looking for something interesting to read and you're a Gen X-er, head over to LastNail and read Christine's comments of this recent article in New York Magazine about "GRUPS". Yes, Christine, it is scarey. Sofie and Snowflake are gonna have to get together and talk playlists.

, ,

No comments: