Monday, April 03, 2006

Where My Heart Is


What is your idea of ‘home’? Is it a place, certain people or just a state of mind that defines it? When I think of my childhood, sometimes I yearn for that big pastel yellow two story Colonial with creamy blue shutters with the half-moons cut out, set way back from the street, ancient Maple trees standing sentinel, claiming their space on the lush golf course like lawn, completely protected by a white picket fence.

It’s the kind of home where you learned how to ride your first bike in the drive way, or were proud to bring friends from college home to visit for the weekend. Maybe you’d even get married in the backyard. From the curb, this was a place that invited you in, begging you to walk up the sidewalk and knock on the door just to see who lived there.

That’s not what I got.

My childhood is filled with upheaval. Not serious upheaval, but moving from place to place at crucial times for some of us, leaving friends behind. Milwaukee to Minneapolis, Green Bay to St. Cloud, finally resting somewhere in-between, and even THAT was back and forth for a few years.

I have one place I think of as a family home, the first and only my parents ever built. From the ages of seven to fourteen I have some amazing memories. Good memories, enough so that I don’t begrudge the lack of a stalwart yellow colonial in my past. I often wonder if things would have been different for my brother had we not scuttled around so much. It makes me think about Snowflake and what he experiences.

I bought my swank microscopic bungalow two years after I graduated after college. After twelve years, it ‘s finally coming together. It still needs some tweaking to reach the echelons of Uber Swankness. When you have an old house, there is ALWAYS something more that can be done.

I may have hansgrohe Axor Philippe Starck faucets and a freestanding, white, shiny English soaking tub in my funky bathroom, but I still need new front steps and a garage door.(I am enamored of my faucetry, especially considering I had leaky “antique ones” and an old drain that oozed enough spew to ruin the downstairs ceiling, but now it’s all GONE). The creature comforts I most desire.

My cozy abode sits on one of the busiest streets in our non-megaopolis. Snowflake loves looking out of the windows and into the huge HUGE park filled with old towering pines across the street. What little boy wouldn’t be mesmerized by the warp speed of police cars, fire trucks and ambulances as they blur by humming? I like the buzz of all the activity but wonder if there isn’t somewhere quieter and more spacious for us.

Snowflake and I went to an Open House in a quiet neighborhood for a gorgeous Arts & Crafts jewel built in 1916. I walked in and fell in love. The woodwork was simply breathtaking and lovingly preserved. A few years ago it was included on the city’s Historical Homes Tour. The perfectly quaint sized back yard is fenced in for Charles and has a two car garage. Everything is in move in condition. It’s just D-R-E-A-M-Y.

Then I slapped myself for thinking the thought. I could definitely afford it, but we do have everything we need and are so happy here. Great neighbors are a total bonus. My coworker argues that Snowflake wouldn’t even remember the move, no big deal. It is a big deal. He is losing his Nan’s house(they sold it) this year AND the cottage(they’re tearing it down and rebuilding). Maybe I'm not ready to let go of this place I call home.

One thing I want for him IS the colonial and everything that comes with it, even if it is a cracker box.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I had an "after" shot of my house, but the only one I could find on my HD was a photograph of my front door, the one I've used before (that's my poem for the day). Lo siento.

Anonymous said...

Living in CA, my first question is, Who can afford a house like that? Your little bungalow is BEAUTIFUL, and here, seriously, would be over a million dollars. Looks like a little land there, too, which doesn't hurt. My tiny little condo on no land is pushing $560K. It's INSANE.

Love the older houses, though...wish I could afford one, warts and all. I guess we could, if we moved, but you understand the moving thing all to well. I also moved a LOT as a child, and Maya has lived here since she was 2, and doesn't remember any other place. Likes her school and her friends. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Thinking about moving is a tough one. Snowflake is young enough that a new, bigger home would probably go by somewhat unnoticed. However, leaving good neighbors is tough.

Thinking now about a growing family, we're torn about wanting a room for each kid, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I can't imagine leaving the neighborhood and our nieghbors. Besides, I love our house, okay, really I love my kitchen. I'd hate to have to paint a new house. Yuck!

Anonymous said...

I really love your house, it has so much character.
Moving is a big step but if you feel it, do it while Snowflake is still a little chap. I love those older houses a lot. I want to see the one you are talking about.

Anonymous said...

Go to www.firstweber.com and enter 601483 in the MLS quick search blank right there on the welcome page. It should pop up right away. Let me know what you think. It's a steal, i caution the WC-er's not to look, it will make you SICK.

Anonymous said...

I hear you J! That is insane. This is one of the few benefits of living in BFE. This lady has the home packed to brim w/ stuff so it may be hard to see how gorgeous it actually is. It's a very hard decision to make, I have a cool eclectic home. But I love all of the beautiful built in benches, cabinets and columns of this house. Something tells me to pass...

Anonymous said...

Hey, you've added color to your title bar! NIce touch. I still need to figure out how to do links. With so many computer geeks in my group, you think I'd get off my butt and have one of them show me. Ah well.

I have to tell you Ms Mamma, the comment you made on my blog about your uncle and the canned hams had my husband squeeling in disgust. He actually squeeled, pulled his arms up in a defensive posture across his chest, as if to ward off the grossness, and was writhing in his chair, yelling "gross, gross." Thanks for the laugh!

Anonymous said...

I think the home is lovely. You would have a blast blending your character in with the already beautiful artwork and character of this older home. You know you would love it, and I would love to see it once you got through with it. That could be your lifetime home. I know its a hard one, you are already set with your hip bungalow--I love your pad!

Anonymous said...

I ended up on your site at the urging of my friend, because she freaked and said, "There's a pic of your favorite house in Wausau!" I have ALWAYS admired your house & have been curious as to who lives there.

I remember stopping at a garage sale there maybe 7 years ago & I picked up tumbled rocks and a Depeche Mode record (that I gave to a crush as a gift & he left it in is car on a HOT day - the crush ended soon after - I mean, who does that?!?)

Sorry to ramble, you seem to have a sweet little family & I wish you happiness. I have a 2.5 year old little boy as well, & he keeps me moving too!

I really enjoy your site.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kari! Thanks! That is so cool! Okay, I have a really good memory! That was an import record and I sold it to you for like .25 and you wore glasses and had a headband on, I think?! That bowl of rocks came from a very eclectic auction I attended. The estate was from a deceased lady described as a 'world traveler'. I think I tried polishing some of the rocks that I put in that bowl. I am so happy you're here! A bambino? Congrats! They are SOMETHING, no?

Anonymous said...

Glasses yes, headband probably at that time! Great memory - I remember that day too. Hot as hell & I snuck away from my old job at Wee-Bee's to go! =)

Although not in the market RIGHT now, if you EVER put your house up, please, please, post it on your blog first! Could save you some hefty realtor fees . . .

My kids are great - we also have a 6 year old girl who adores her little brother. We had school conferences last night - I could sit and listen about my offspring for hours!

Anonymous said...

I think it was actually a cool scarf you had tied in your hair. I mean, I wouldn't know your face, but I remember that weekend bigtime. It was the first time I cleared my space of so many personal things from throughout the years. I am going to have another purge this summer, so look out! That is so sweet about your bambinos... I have so much to look forward to.