Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Totally

I think my dad always bought Crest toothpaste growing up. At my mom's parents, it was cinnamon red Close Up and an occasional bottle of Pearl Drops. Lick your teeth and say "It's a great feeling!"

My dad's parents always had Colgate and this became my favorite although I thought Aim was cool because of the blue gel. When striped Aqua Fresh came out it just blew me away. Somehow I managed to stick with Colgate. Now I use Colgate Total.

What scares me about this is the Brooke Sheilds commercial for Colgate Total. With her big arching eyebrows, she reminds me a little too much of Jack Nicholson in Batman. Too much Smilax, way way too much.

When I see her give her infant daughter a little gobble kiss, part of me sees a glint in her eye(and unmoving brow) of "Crazy Scary Post Partum Brooke" and I'm afraid she's gonna actually bite that baby's head right off and growl. The older daughter/toddler seems indifferent to the whole schmoozing ordeal. Her mother did have thoughts of throwing her right out the window.

I never had post-partum depression, but I can totally identify with that feeling.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The difference being that you couold totally see the emotion on my face as I hurled him. ;)

Anonymous said...

Pearl Drops. I remember the name, but I can't remember what they do exactly. What *do* they do? Do you remember?

Anonymous said...

I can pretty much use any toothpaste, but Py likes his colgate.

The urge? Yeah, we lived on the 16th floor of an apartment building, and Maya had colic. Enough said.

Maybe they show her loving up her baby to show folks that she's not nuts, she won't go all Yates on the poor kids...ugh.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this commerical is on YouTube since, well, I have never seen it.

Anonymous said...

She doesn't have the SMILAX smile, but rather the blank stare and wide eyes of a Campbell's Kid, with the concrete brow paired with her wildly arching eyebrows, I find it creepy and hideous. J- I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in that feeling!

Dana- Pearl Drops was "tooth polish". I guess you used it after brushing, it was kind of gritty. It came in a weird little bottle that balanced on it's cap, if I remember correctly.

Anonymous said...

I was so surprised she did a commerical for Colgate. My first thought is oh-oh, she is out of money. She seems so out of character for a toothpaste commerical.
I like Aquafresh Extreme Clean. The colors and taste is cool...

Anonymous said...

Although I didn't have the hormones associated with pregnancy, there were times with Sailor Moon when I just wanted the crying to stop and all I wanted to do was cover her mouth until it stopped. Having those thoughts freaked me out, but I was able to assure friends that their similar feelings weren't abnormal and were part of the fatgue.

As far as toothpaste goes, I use the fire red close up. It's one of the last unfacy toothpastes left. I can't use any of those 'whitening', or 'extended protection' ones. They leave a weird film that builds up on my cheeks, then I have to pull those long nasty strings of crap out of my mouth. Soryy, kinda gross.