Thursday, November 09, 2006

Life with Dogs

On Monday I came home from work to find my sweet Chidle Bug had a problem with his front paw. Gingerly he tried to avoid using it and I thought I would give it a little time in case he jumped down on it funny or strained something. It's been three days and last night I gave him some buffered aspirin and it seemed to do the trick.

This morning he was worse. He was standing on his front paws but was shaking and showing weakness in his hind legs. What the hell. I gave him some aspirin and called the vet. We have an appointment tomorrow afternoon. He is eating and drinking.

I cried and Snowflake tried to comfort me. I can't help but feel like I drove the first nail into his coffin by bringing home Ginger and Frank. Sometimes I really hate the things I do. I am not ready to go down this lonesome path again. Charlie is, ha, was a spritely and energetic dog for eight years old and now it seems as though his vim and vigor has disappeared too quickly.

This morning he was an old man. I feel so bad. This is so hard for me to watch and I always seem to assume the worst. Boxers are some of the most special dogs in the world. This I know to be true and why?

For all the pain I think I can see in his big soft brown Milk-Dud like eyes, his little nub still wagged enthusiastically for me as I tried to comfort him just the same as when he was a puppy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My parents have a 13 year old Pekingese and he was just diagnosed with Lyme's Disease, he started antibiotics and he is doing VERY well. Sounds like the Chidler could have something of the same nature. I hope they can diagnos him and get him better fast!!! With all the love you (and Snowflake) have for him he is bound to heal fast!

Anonymous said...

He's only 8? I'm kinda assuming an infection, which antibiotics will help. Maybe he hurt his paw, which caused an infection...

It sucks to badly to see them in pain, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Let's hold the good thought and see what the vet can do. We once had a cat who had feline leukemia -- she had retreated into the closet and we thought she was dying, and the vet gave her a vitamin shot and she lived 10 more years. Vets can sometimes do amazing things.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of the positive thoughts. I just came home from work and he seems to be in very good spirits and he is NOT hobbling around. I am still keeping the appointment for tomorrow afternoon. The vet said to call in the morning to cancel if he was still feeling frisky. For all the schooling they get, so many vets seem just kind of like old time medicine show people. So much is a mystery unless you have pet insurance , a big bankroll or vets like the "Emergency Vets". Hi Jillymom! Yes, J I my heart aches to see him or any pet in pain. MG that is a truly amazing and inspiring story.

My blog, my rollercoaster.

Anonymous said...

Eight years young! I 'm sure the Chidle Bug is just having a bad spell and will get over it in no time.

I know what your going through for feeling guilty about Frankie & Ginger stealing/sharing Chidler's affection from you.

My ex and I had a Boxer/Pit mix (Gucci), and she beat cancer at the age of 6 or 7 and lived until the ripe old age of 13. Her last fur buddy (Dozer) died about a year after her cancer bout. We didn't think she much cared for the old boy. He had been constantly pestering her and she didn't seem to mourn him at all. I sure did though.

So we decided to let her be Queen of the Castle for the rest of her years. But then we took in a rescued Boxer (Savanah) when Gucci was around 12. Savanah was beautiful and a perfect dog, but I could tell Gucci didn't want to share her Castle, so we found another home for Savanah. It was just too much competition for Gucci at that age.

Charlie might be experiencing his first bout with arthritus? I know Gucci sure battled it. We gave her Rymadyl in her older years.

Yep...I'm gonna go with the arthritus prognosis, and he is probably using it to his advantage to get some extra TLC. He looks smart enough to do that!

Also......since Chidler is a male and 8 really is young......I think he secretly adores Ginger!!!!!

Don't beat yourself over it. He knows he's still King of the Castle!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree that Chidler probably has an infection or something. 8 is pretty young, and most dogs are quite active at that age -- even our mega-sleeper, Genevieve!

Anonymous said...

Is Chidle's feeling better.? Sweetie that he is.

Anonymous said...

LL- Yes he is! He is back to his usual spritely self, so I don't know what the heck happened. Thanks goodness and thanks for asking because he is a big sweet baby!