Sunday, November 05, 2006

Evergreen

In fourth grade Steve Schmidt and I were good pals. His parents owned a cheese store. We went to a parochial school and instantly bonded over our Levi's and Nike Cortez', his the red leather swoosh and mine the blue. We both liked and went to alot of movies with our parents on the weekends in Green Bay. We loved Superman when it came out. He was the kind of guy that I wish now could have come to my slumber parties. I have no idea where he is but I hope he's doing well.

Along with being into pop culture in fourth grade, he also knew my biggest bluff and never told a soul. I denied the whole thing to him and now I laugh about how idiotic I must have looked.

We had to write a poem for an assignment. That weekend my family went to Milwaukee where I perused the album collection of my parents friends. It was here I found the words to the Barbara Streisand song "Evergreen". Hmmmm. Pretty good, I thought. I claimed it as my own the following Monday. No one had a clue and I wonder why. I mean it's just NOT fourth grade material.

"Heidi, isn't that a Barbara Streisand song?", Steve said to me after class.

"I have no idea what you're talking about", I lied to my friend.

"Um yeah, I'm pretty sure that is a song, my mom has that record," he said.

"Well Steve, I wrote it all by myself" I exclaimed and never heard mention of it again.

Miles apart and whereabouts unknown, this little friendship of ours will always be one of the sweetest friendships I had. It will always be "ageless and evergreen".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plagerism at such a young age...I'm surprised your teacher didn't recognize the lyrics. But maybe the teacher just wasn't hip. Or maybe s/he DID recognize the lyrics, and didn't care. You never know.

That's a true friend, though, to drop the issue and stay loyal. Too bad you lost touch.

Anonymous said...

I say look him up online. I bet you could find him. Wouldn't it be awesome to tell him about the little story you wrote. You'd probably laugh for hours.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that sickening, that I would steal the lyrics to THAT song. Ugh. I'm embarassed. Talk about uninspired. I tried to google him, but it seems to daunting a task. I give up for now.