Thursday, January 05, 2006

Turning Japanese

Ever since I was a wee sprite I have always been fascinated by Orientalia. My brothers and I watched kungfu movies with wild abandon and re-enacted each scene in our mother's bath robes in the living room using wrapping paper tubes as our honorable swords. We watched dubbed Bruce Lee movies over and over, developing and perfecting the art of talking when your mouth wasn't moving and vice versa.

A child of the 80's, I could never forget Richard Chamberlain(aka sexy Father Ralph of the Thornbirds) in the miniseries Shogun. I loved the scenery, the kimono, the society steeped deep in their ancestors traditions. It is elegance in simplicity. Happiness in simplicity. Or stabbing yourself simply.

So the other day I picked up a Pimsleur's Japanese CD. Snowflake and I are listening to lesson one every morning on the way to Nana's do-jo. Pimsleur is the same method they use in the FBI & CIA.

Already I'm asking Snowflake if he's American and if he understands Japanese. Of course he nods "HI" like good little baby sumo. That is progress! I'll have Snowflake post in Japanese when we're fluent. Or when were in deep cover at the sushi bar.

PM update: Snowflake is enthusiastically pronouncing ee-ay, which he now knows means NO in Japanese. I asked for it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahahaha....Hahahaha...hahaha...aaahhh...I LOVE it!!

Anonymous said...

Not so funny when he started shaking his head and matter of factly saying it at me because he didn't want anymore of his organic oatmeal! Yet, I had to laugh because it was soooooo damn cute!

Anonymous said...

I read this post to my kids because I knew they could relate. They think you to be quite hilarious! We now try to remember to say "ee-ay" instead of no and they insist that I find a do-jo to take them to.

Anonymous said...

You just tell them they already ARE in YOUR do-jo...under mommy's tutelage, eh? Are you a taskmaster or ? I'm very laid back with Snowflake...