Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Shark




As I was leaving the office today, I saw "The Shark" pull out from the credit union. That's what he called his car. There was no mistaking that two tone blue 1987 Chevy Caprice Classic, a black and white skull sticker on each side of the front fender panels. I nostalgically longed for the cool baby blue crushed velvet upholstery in prime condition. Could it possibly be HIM?

My co-worker dubbed him, "The Play-ah". So let's just call him that. The Play-ah would never be caught dead wearing pants. The day I met him, February 1, 2002 he was wearing some army green cut offs with some ripped long underwear. This was topped by a grey flannel button up and a well worn leather motorcycle jacket, a "Motorhead" pin on the lapel. Maybe it was Grunge At First Sight. The way he looked at me made me feel like I was 22 years old again.

My ex-boyfriend Todd, and I went out that evening to our favorite blues dive and when we walked in and sat down, my eyes hit The Play-ah's and it was like that old 80's tune "Magnet & Steel". That was the only time I've ever met someone's eyes and felt like I was struck by a lightening bolt. I still feel tingly just thinking about him.

I fell hard for him and he was moving to the hill country of Tennesse, just west of the Smokey Mountains to blow glass in a few weeks. This is sounding like a hillbilly love song. I still have a sticker on my back door that he sent me that says "Protected by A Glass Blower". I however chose to cut out the "Gl" for some reason and it now says "ass Blower". We had a crazy exciting intense whirlwind fling.

He moved away and called me all the time. I sent him nude photographs of myself! Believe me, I'm not that kind of girl. Twice he showed up for no reason. He brought me beautiful quirky trinkets and flowers. He gave me a real Munachi Love Charm. I swooned. It's sitting on my kitchen windowsill. In August he showed up again to tell me he was moving back.

Strangely, we couldn't seem to pull it all together. We just faded away, quietly and never attempted to connect. The last time I saw him he came to a rummage sale to pick up a rug my mom gave him. It was a cool handmade carpet made by my now deceased uncle in Portland Oregon. He brought his dowdy girlfriend along and her eight year old son.

It wasn't as bad as it sounds. Snowflake was five months old and we were ancient history that really never was. I still have this feeling he might just show up on my doorstep one day.

I see a man in plaid flannel, very much past prime, wearing a baseball cap and sporting a fuzzy mustache and thick glass block spectacles. He's commanding The Shark and he is definitely not the recipient of my photos.


, , , , ,

No comments: