Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Gerry's Kids

I heard the song "Baker St." on the radio yesterday afternoon as I was zipping along in the heat. There is something about that crazy ass saxophone. It took me back to the tiny little town I grew up in attending St. James School. I felt so glad that we didn't have to wear uniforms like Sacred Heart a few blocks away. In our town there was a Copp's. They sold a variety of things, but mainly everyone got their "music" there.

This is where I bought my first 8-track(Kiss Rock n' Roll Over). And let me not forget 'Captain & Tenille's Greatest Hits on vinyl. Please.

It was of the time when you still went to buy a single 45. One day at school, I was talking to my friend David Kufahl and he mentioned that he bought "Baker St." I thought that was so cool, but really, I think I thought he was cool. He was the class artist, specializing in cartoon figures playing football, baseball etc. What a boy.

I wonder how kids in fourth grade could dig that song now. According to Jade from Chippewa Falls(via Songfacts), "This is the most sentimental of all Gerry Rafferty's songs. It is about a man who dreams of owning a house and living away from his neighborhood, but he is a drunk, and cannot achieve that goal. He drinks to forget what he doesn't have, and never realizes he's a rolling stone with no direction."

I can dig that. But it's the sax, every time. I just don't get enough sax these days.