Friday, June 09, 2006

Your Songs (For J)

It's a little bit funny, this feeling inside but, here I am being tagged for my very first MEME by the lovely J. I'm kind of excited yet almost nauseated because this is the moment of truth. Name 13 songs you absolutely love/loved but are humiliated to admit to. Excuse me for a moment while I pour myself a glass of Fish Eye.

1. She Drives Me Crazy by The Fine Young Cannibals No Comment.

2. Tusk by Fleetwood Mac featuring the UCLA Marching Band Damn, I thought those drums and horns were just so effing cool. Once in awhile I still kind of like it.

3. Shelter by former Playboy Playmate Taylor Dane. My best friend Paul and I would just jam out to this in my apartment in college. Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na I'll be your shelter, baby.

4. Muskrat Love by The Captain & Tenille Yes, The C & T's Greatest Hits was the first LP I bought when I was in fourth grade. I just loved those little Muskrat noises, and you KNOW that wasn't from using ProTools. How'd they do that?!

5. Der Kommisar by After the Fire Hey, don't turn around and always remember, the more you live the faster you will die La La La La La

6. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot Maybe it's because it's about the northern stomping grounds, but in any case I still would like to know where the love of god goes. Anyone?

7. Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty I had this 45. It just jammed, baby.

8. Jesse James by Cher Come on, Baby! If you can give it, I can take it cuz if this heart is gonna break it's gonna take alot to break it... Oh hell, I still love all these cheesy whack songs, who am I kidding?!

9. Pac Man Fever by Buckman & Garcia Any questions? In my defense, I WAS under 10 at the time.

10. Afternoon Delight by The Starland Vocal Band and it wasn't just because it was in "Tiger Eyes" by Judy Blume or because I'm in love with Ron Burgundy.

11. Billy Billy Bayou by Jim Reeves Listened to him from the time I was born.

12. Xanadu by Olivia Newton John I was IN LOVE with this movie. Shhhhhhhhh!

13. Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) by Looking Glass

You know there's a lot more, I just can't seem to thinkof the REALLY good ones. Enjoy! Now I must ask The Hip Stylish and Utterly Preggo Glamgranola to add her two cents, along with RadioFree as he stares down high from his lofty musical perch. And of course, any one else happening by to do so as well. Let me know if you take this enormously important challenge!

p.s. Anyone that loves ELO is right on! in my book.


,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Now you're sucked into the evil world of Memes. Welcome to the dark side of the force. Loved your list, but now I'm worried that I'm gonna have the Edmund Fitzgerald stuck in my head all day, which isn't great since I have a science fair at the school soon...

Anonymous said...

I still like your #1, but wonder if I'd have liked it as well, pre MTV days. It's weird, I just did a post about "Brandy", didn't know the group recorded it in my hometown (they were in college at the time), and that it was rumored to be about a real women, named Mary Snipes.

Anonymous said...

Loved the list! "She Drives Me Crazy" by FYC is a great song! No need to feel ashamed by that one. Although, I must admit FYC's previous album was better.

6th grade...The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald...should have made my list, too!

And with lyrics like this, how can you not love this song!

When suppertime came the old cook came on deck sayin'.
"Fellas, it's too rough t'feed ya."
At seven P.M. a main hatchway caved in; he said,
"Fellas, it's bin good t'know ya!"
The captain wired in he had water comin' in
and the good ship and crew was in peril.
And later that night when 'is lights went outta sight
came the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald