Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Day the Earth Stood Still

They say your kids will do things to embarrass you. I've always done such a good job of embarrassing myself. My little Damien, seems to have found the Oedipus in him a wee bit early even though there's no Da around. Sunday night we were in bed ready for sleepies & dreamies and I ask him if he'd like me to rub his back as per our nightly attachment parenting ritual.

He looks at me with this Devil eye and says, "Mama rub my pee pee?" and laughs.

"What?!" I retort stupified to the point of swallowing my tongue and choking to death, somehow calmly holding it all together and laughing nervously and say, "I love ya babe, but not like that(like he has a clue!). You can rub your pee pee all you want. It is yours and yours alone to rub. In fact, you are the ONLY person who should be rubbing it." I left it at that. He said "Ya."

Can you feel me cringing? I was left wondering if I should check his scalp for 666. Instead I called my mother and she thought it was weird. I told the coworker and he looked at me like I was the Devil's Spawn. I even tried to share my pain on a friend's blog by commenting that her budding pyromaniac is an angel compared to my experience. I just wanted someone to say it was okay. He's normal, curious and maybe a little precocious. Fat fucking chance.

I removed my comment because I felt like the town freak. I'm left to figure it out on my own. Even at this early stage I think it sets an openess for future conversations about difficult subjects between the two of us. I want him to be comfortable with expressing his feelings about whatever is on his mind.

Even if he turns out to be a complete weirdo.




, ,

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love those toddlers!

Anonymous said...

Sometime I will blog about the air on my butt and skirts story

Kids say some amazing truth sometimes

Anonymous said...

Eh, don't sweat the little stuff. When sofie's diaper comes off she's all over her junkage. My g-friends boy monkeys with his monkey so much, he produces a little 'stubbie' if ya know what I mean. He's probably getting ready for toilet training, he's all penis awareness. BTW, nice garden.

Anonymous said...

i'm right there with you! my little guy has floored me with a few of those himself. it's nature. i just respond like you do and since he's 5 now casually ask him to "please put it away" on a regular basis. like father like son.

Anonymous said...

Poor Mama. Sorry. But he doesn't know anything about the sexuality of it, or that for you to make him feel good there would be molestation. He just knows it feels good, and when you rub his back, that feels good, so why not? Honestly, don't sweat it. But you dealt with it very well, except for choking on your own tongue.

Maya and I used to shower together (sometimes we still do...I know, some people might have issues with that, but whatever) and when she was Snowflakes age, she would feel up my boobs. I hated that, and I would tell her to leave them alone. She hated that. She hasn't felt me up in many years, thank God.

Oh, and she ate her own shit once, too, so no worries about SF, k?

Anonymous said...

Ha, Ha

Whew.....that's a good story to share with his girlfriend or your future daughter in-law when he is older.

I fianlly figured out how to leave ya a comment, but I'm speechless on that one.

Anonymous said...

Hey
I'm trying to find pics of your little black pug on here? Where are they at?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of your comments! I cna't wait to hear that story, Dino. Hi blue fairy! thanks for your thoughts, whew. It's a relief to get some feedback. I think everyone is so overexposed to sex in this country and we're just too uptight to talk about it.

And J, thanks, for pointing out that it's not about the sexuality, ie-"He just knows it feels good, and when you rub his back, that feels good, so why not?" Thanks for sharing your adventures with the beautiful Maya. No wonder she's such a good kid, because she had such a cool, tolerant mom. Being naked is natural, people make it unnatural because of whatever hangups they might have. I feel better. Thank you so much, I won't worry!

Christine- I like your 'monkey with the monkey' comment. Everyday is so interesting it makes me wonder what kind of things my own parents experienced with my brothers and me. Here's a record, like Jimmy says, share it with his future mate. Ha. He'll love it right along with all of those bathtub photographs. And your hydrangea is gorgeous, my neighbor has one and it's beautiful. Thanks for commenting on my new found favorite place. It's so peaceful.

Thanks again everyone.

Jimmy- I will post some of my favorites, I never really posted any of him because I started writing this blog in response to shortly losing him and LuLu. There is one photo of the two of them on December 20, 2005 so go to the archives and check it out. Of course there is the one on my header at the top, one of my faves.

Anonymous said...

Omgosh....I'm so sorry.......I'm heading to 12/20/05 post now.
Thanks for letting me know shug.