Friday, June 02, 2006

Opening Up

The demolition has begun. Earlier this week a pile of boulders magically appeared in the yard. The trailer they were carried in on left nice ruts in the boulevard across my beautiful golf course like lawn. Thursday the "BobCat" showed up, parked squarely in the center of the backyard. What did it all mean? It meant the pergola was closer to realization!

I came home tonight to the center of the Earth opening up behind the garage. Well, it wasn't quite that but, but seriously there were huge piles of black dirt everywhere from excavating and the beginnings of the boulder retaining wall were already taking shape. I felt like I was witnessing the birth of my own Secret Garden. Thankfully SF was cashed from a heavy overdose of outdoor air and was sleeping soundly. This gave me the opportunity to explore the newly exposed pit of hellfire and damnation.

Spotted Cow in hand, I changed the exterior lightbulb so I could linger awhile. It was just long enough to get dirt in my Keens and between my toes. Gritty like drywall dust. You could smell the fresh soil newly turned, there is something so very clean about its essence. The crescent moon appeared in the sky, floating frozen above the copper cupola on the garage. This IS where I belong.

A perfect, perfect night.


, , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh! I can't wait to see it!