Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Where It's At

Like many children who never stray too far from the nest, I have a love/hate relationship with my padres. My mother is my best friend and sometimes I want to slap her. I'm sure she feels the same about me although she would be appalled that I could think such a thought. Kids these days just don't "respect their elders."

My dad and I have nothing in common except our love of Snowflake, chocolate and Haagen Daz ice cream bars. I love him, but I don't really know much about him on a personal level. It's best to keep it light. When I was younger I loved bringing my friends home from college to meet them. I was never one of those kids who was embarrassed of them. They knew how to party.

In an awesome role reversal, I am throwing them a party in honor of their 40 years of wedded bliss(tering). Oh, they love each other, but their dynamic reminds me more of The Bunkers than Morticia and Gomez. I call it twisty love, the old fashioned kind.

I booked the boutique place downtown with the swankiest atmosphere and got the best room, right off their very cool bar. It's going to be a surprise cocktail party with hors d'oeuvres. And if they get too tipsy, I've got them covered. I booked them a suite(fireplace, jacuzzi, Aveda amenities) with a view. Ah, the things we do for our loved ones.

Although I will say my brother and I did this, it's all me, baby.