Tuesday, April 24, 2007

RestauRANT(s)

J and LaLuna were wondering about the culinary delights one may encounter when pouncing on my fair city. It's all underbelly, ladies. Most denizens are buffet sniffing hogs who equate gargantuan quantities of food with the acme of greatness. Luckily there are a few places to chow. They're good, but I wouldn't nominate them for the Michelin Guide. Here is my list of what Snowflake would call "Flavor Cravers".

I love Prima Deli located downtown. They make the tastiest vegetarian wraps. Everything is simple and fresh, fresh, fresh. It's your typical sandwich/coffee shop, but they do everything well. Plus there's a cute young guy working there and I'm all about the eye candy.

If I want atmosphere, I go to the Peking. Located in the grand ball room of an old hotel, the soaring gilded ceilings and dim lighting(hey, what just flew across your face?) are cozy, romantic and reminiscent of a time long ago(in a galaxy far, far away where you can actually GET great food). I stay simple with a dish a pan fried noodles with lots of chili and soy sauce.

If you're a hungry old skool carnivore, my brother would recommend The Wagon Wheel. Here you'll find a crotchety old couple who have the best vodka bar and jazz collection in town. Excellent quality meats. My favorite accoutrement here is not the food, but the fake ponyskin covered sofa in the lounge. My brother raves about their Wild Rice Soup. Salad is vintage 40's roadside with a slab of Iceberg and your choice of French, Thousand Island or Bleu Cheese served in one of those stainless dressing triads. You'll feel like an outsider as the chef(their son,he's like 50) and the waitress(the mother, about 79) stare at you from the open kitchen where they cook everything over a genuine charbroiler. Don't plan on having a drink after dinner, either.

Another place I like because the food is alright and they have choices for vegetarians is The Hiawatha. It's located next to the railroad tracks downtown and you probably wouldn't be able to find it unless you asked someone. Excellent Asiago Cheese Spread w/ crostini. Perfect stuffed 'shroom caps. In addition, it's an excellent place to watch the local sixtysomething Rat Pack get shit-faced and act like they're still in high school.

There is a new place that opened called The Wright Place. This is located in a historic home 'downtown'. See, everything IS great when you're downtown. I purchased a gift certificate for my bro for this place for our birthday's earlier this year. He said it was excellent.

I may get to go when Snowflake turns 18. I'll let you know how it turns out.