Monday, June 18, 2007

My Heart Hurts

"Heidi, I can't go to Little Explorers today because my brain hurts" Snowflake squeaked to me this morning. I had to laugh.

The tone was set for the day. After negotiations over a peanut butter and jelly breakfast, and an afterwork ride on grandpa's boat, he would go. At the end of last week's emotionally trying time, I noticed the beginning of the runny nose, an inevitable christening, a welcome to the world of group activity and a permanent ticket to Germ Central.

He went this morning and cried a little as I quickly said good bye. At 11AM the director called to say that I should come and get him because he was consistently complaining about a pain on his right side.

When I picked him up, he was asleep in the director's office, sitting in a chair. He woke up and on the way out the door he said, "Oh, I was missing you mom". The girls in the office swooned. When we got to the car I asked him if he was hungry and he said hell yeah, he wanted cheese pizza and a coke. He agreed when I asked him if he was just fibbing about being sick.

I got him the pizza sans Coca Cola and took him to work. I called the director and told her he was fine. He lazed around like a brainwashed and electroshocked baboon. The boy was not himself. His doctor double booked and squeezed us in just to check him out.

They checked his oxygen saturation. It was 92(91 and she would have admitted him overnight!)She thought his lungs sounded funny so they gave him a 'breathing treatment' and sent us up to radiology for chest x-rays. The little bug was so cooperative, it was like having one of those quiet polite three year olds you hear about. It was insanely nice.

We came back down and his lungs were clear but had some "mucusy patches" on them. Apparently it's nothing to worry about but anything patchy and mucusy freaks me out. She prescribed prednosone for four days and a nebulizer w/ albuterol treatments every four hours. She thinks he has a minor viral infection. I hope he's okay.

Tomorrow at 9am we go back to have his o2 level checked again(it's a good thing he quit smoking Camel Wides). We then flew to Walgreen's where I had to deal with an assy pharmacist who gave audible instructions through his assistant, who then repeated to me what he dickheadedly already said. They gave me a friggin' case(that's 60 vials) of albuterol(minimums, minimums). It was completely frustrating and my insurance sucks.

I've never had to deal with this kind of medication before. A nebulizer? Christ, it has a "Bubbles the Fish" mask for my little Ebenezer. I know he's toast because he slept through the entire treatment in bed. Poor fella.

I am sad, not just for my little Snowflake, but for the people out there who have incredibly ill children and can't get the help or the respect they deserve. I called the director and left a message that he was sick and he wouldn't be in for a few days.

(I may not be either)