Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Sloppy

The online edition of our newspaper states the "weather is about to turn sloppy." I can't think of a more fitting analogy to myself. It was a long day at work with Snowflake. One of those days where you wake up with Mr. Super Incredibly Crabby Pants morphing into the Veruca Salt of the toddler world.

First he dumped his fruit on the floor. Then he spilled a complete container of chocolate milk in the carpeted office waiting room. The little television zombie just wasn't satisfied with any of the 100 plus channels offered by DirecTV. Next came riding on his new garbage truck that states right on the top "Don't use as a children's vehicle seat!"

Could you hear him across the miles screeching in his special teradactyl frequency?

Oh, I was ready to send him right to the moon in his adorable cardboard rocketship that "Santa" brought. Five o'clock came and we left, he of the demonic possession falling immediately asleep upon hearing the turn of the ignition.

Free at last, free at last!

On behalf of Snowflake I do have to say he isn't normally so bratty. What I'm worried about is what they say... "Two isn't so bad, It's THREE you've gotta watch out for".

Is three the magic number? Is it?

Yesterday I had the day off so I cleared the casa of every last remnant of Christmas, lights, decorations, garland. All packed away in trunks until next time. It looks positively Spartan in here. And I like it. I can breathe. I know for a fact that if I had the money, I would be a pure minimalist.

Like the impending weather, I'm not feeling minimalist. I could be a bit of everything. A little rain, a little snow, some ice. I'm warm and melancholy from a demijon of wine and the truffles, Zsa-Zsa.

Yeah, on a night like tonight, after a day like today, I could turn completely sloppy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our tree is out with the trash. I couldn't have said it more perfectly "Now I can breathe!"

Anonymous said...

We don't clean up until the 1st, so our house is still all decorated and cluttery...I like the austerity of the New Year.

As for the brattiness, here's my advice...which you already seem to do well, so I'm preaching to the choir:

Discipline. Consistancy. No means no, yes means yes, etc. He WILL NOT LISTEN much at age 3, but if you keep it up, have consequences for bad behavior, praise and approval for good behavior, punishment fits the crime, etc, and STAY ON MESSAGE, one day, when he's 4 or 5, SURELY before he's 30 1/2, you'll realize that he's been listening all along...just ignoring you. When he is able to listen well, and not ignore you, things will get better.

But honestly, even at their worst, they weren't THAT bad. You'll be OK. :)

Anonymous said...

I say let him be bratty. You can only be bratty for a limited time in life -- and that time is now.

I think chocolate milk stains are all artsy & stuff.

Anonymous said...

I'm with J on this one to a point - keep on message. Oh, and don't forget chocolate. Incentivization is the essential parental technique. Corrupt him now and he's yours forever. Or is that how you deal with bent policemen?

Isn't odd how the more channels there are, the less there is to watch?

Anonymous said...

I also agree with J (and I sort have to, don't I?)

"Stay on target!"

--Star Wars, Episode IV

Anonymous said...

J, I love your advice because I know it's so well grounded. Chocolate, oh yes, he knows its power well. It's not THAT bad and CG, you're right.


It's the whining that gets me and there are just times when I have to say "I can't understand what you're saying when you whine like that". It drives a mamma to the drink...wink wink.

I have come to the conclusion again that TV just really sucks ass, BIGTIME, no matter if it's three channels or 200.

But. it's Friday! So happy Friday everyone! And I just bought myself a buttload of Aveda so YAY me, material girl!(for the moment)