Thursday, December 07, 2006

Repossession

I remember when I met him. He worked for the city. He was that succulent shade of summer that you want to run your hands across barebacked. That was about all he had going for himself. Fresh out of a divorce, he was looking for a place to call home with his half pit-retriever and alley cat.

I sold him a repossessed 16 x 70 manufactured home. The floorplan wasn't bad but it had the previously trendy shade of mobile home mauve as its running theme. Mauve plush carpeting, mauve in the vinyl covered paneling and flecks of mauve in the formica. If mauve is indeed the color for romance and relaxing, he should have been blissed out.

But he wasn't.

He was a nervous chatterer. A lonely, thick haired natural blonde. Sadness. It was palpable in his Basset Hound eyes, glassy and desperate. A chain smoker whose lungs had to be the same shade as the roads he worked on. Tar lips. Kind of sexy in a rogue-ish way.

I smoked then as well and sometimes I was the recepticle for more of his miserable meanderings as we stood on the office deck in the fading hazy sun of August. I knew he was attracted to me. Somewhere I was thinking why me? My co-worker and I would make fun of his raspy voice after he left the office or called on the phone to check the status of his loan.

He got the house. That rieking house dripping of cat piss and pink passion. I was more excitied about the "bonus points" from the finance company for selling the repo. Yeah, I was finally going to get that fucking Nambe Tri-Corner bowl AND the kissing salt and pepper shakers for NOTHING. All because of him.

Then he asked me to dinner and I politely refused. It was after the loan closed and I turned him down that he called very pissed off saying the house stunk. Really? We had no idea since no mention was made before. In the hot stagnant air of August I don't know how ANYONE could have missed it. It made my eyes burn.

Last week he came into the office. It was almost like that line from the song by Dan Fogleberg that goes," Met my old lover in the grocery store, the snow was falling Christmas Eve" but it wasn't. So much time had passed it was weird. I had Snowflake and he had two heart attacks.

The sadness was still there in those brown Junior Mint eyes. He just kept talking and talking and talking. I let him. Have you ever felt that it could make a difference for someone if you just let them talk? It was that kind of sadness. He needed an appraisal on the cat piss house and I said I would have John call him.

He stopped in this afternoon. He was driving a mini hillbilly limo- an early 90's Ford Ranger transformed into a weird platform truck with one of those strange bars that come up behind the cab. I assume these are for busty redneck women to hang on to while 'mudboggin'. It was navy blue and rusty, the only shine coming from the plastic chrome naked lady silhouettes stuck on the back window. A Petronas like antenna reaching defiantly into the lower atmosphere proclaimed his subliminal manhood.

He was back.

I was busy retouching photographs and John handled the situation. No need for me to interrupt the dialog. He hung himself next to the door looking down at me. I could smell stale cigarette smoke emanating from him. With Snowflake perched on my lap, he joked and asked me if I was running a daycare and could he drop off his two granchildren named Blah and Blah. I was really trying to tune him out. I laughed in that spaced out 'I'm on the computer' kind of way and he left.

John and I laughed as soon as the door was closed.

"Jesus, Heid! How does it feel to get hit on by a grandpa! Holy shit", he razzed.

I was relieved he was gone. I almost felt sorry enough for him to invite him to my Christmas party. His presence felt like a repossession. Remembering how it felt to be around him or someone like him. Suffocating. It was heavy and forlorn.

I felt happy to eat alone tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you never considered his advances, but when someone like that comes back into your life for a minute or two, do you ever wonder, "What if..."? Like a Star Trek episode I saw, where Whorf was bouncing between parallel universes, and each one branched out from others based on choices that were made...so if you have a choice between steak and a big portabella mushroom, another universe branches off, just like this one, but in the other universe, you choose the steak, where here and now, you stick with being a vegetarian, and eat your yummy mushroom...

That's a complicated idea, maybe, but sometimes when I meet someone I once knew, or hear about a job I didn't get or didn't take, or whatever, I think of that episode, and I wonder if, in some other universe, I'm with that person, and what is happening in my life because of it...usually, it makes me feel like the Enterprise that wanted to be destroyed because the Borg were making their life a living hell. I feel pretty fortunate with most of my choices so far.

Sorry if you never watched Next Generation, because then that all pretty much meant bupkis.

Anonymous said...

Get this....it was about 07:30 yesterday morning and I was pulling into my parking spot at MIA to catch my 08:55 flight to the Big D my mobile rang...by the time I was able to get to it the caller hung up....I figured it wasn't Armando since he was fast asleep....low and behold it was Gabriel...yikes....what the f%^& ? Why would he be calling me at 07:30 in the morning...I decided not to call back since i had an important interview that afternoon in Dallas and needed to be focused....i am sure it was some sort of drama or another....the last two sentences of your post reminded me of what it was like being with Gabriel at the end....suffocating...but at the same time I loved him and felt sorry for him...we learn our lessons and move on....life is better now...life is good!

Anonymous said...

Two very good comments to read this morning!

J, I know the concept. In fact it can be applied directly to Snowflake's Y. It is soooooo strange. I met him when I was younger and then again when we dated and created Snowflake. He described it as the same door opening once again in the Universe. It's a romantic idea and I am grateful for my little boy. I couldn't have done it by myself. Well, I suppose i could have paid at the sperm bank, but that's so cold and clinical. I hope that where ever he is, he's o.k.

40 Something Grandpa is just altogether not the type of person I could even go to dinner with. Maybe be friends with, but he seems like the kind of person who wouldn't understand that concept.

GF- That is too weird. DO NOT call him back, PLEASE! Suffocation in the presence of someone you loved is devastating. Fight or flight, baby. I'm glad you ran the other way. I love you.