Friday, December 08, 2006

A Danish I Could Eat


Do I cook? Not often. Can I cook? Yes, for sure. Do I like pretty things even though I may not use them? Yes. It began in November when the Danish designer Tord Boontje graced Target with his gorgeous, old fashioned yet mod Christmas designs. Pristine and elegant paper chandeliers drip from the ceiling and his graphics sprinkle across every occupiable space.

It started simply enough. Oh, I'll just get some of this cool intricate looking paper garland for my Christmas party. I bought two. These look like the painstakingly paper cut out art known as scherenschnitte to me, only funkier. Then yesterday I decided to get this other funky red metallic garland with his cool trademark icons dangling out from the fluff. It looks so kick ass.

I obsessed all night. Looking at Target's website and then contemplating yet another trip to its delectable innards in the morning. I was contemplating the Christmas porcelain dishes he created exclusively for Target. Oh, I have Christmas dishes, cool ones. But not this cool.

If you want to buy Tord Boontje dinnerware at Unica Home or Modern Poverty, one place setting will set you back at least $100(one din-din plate is around $58). It varies, some sites are more expensive than others. How could I possible pass up the Target version, eerily similar, yet not of the same high quality to be sure for only $19.99 for four, on sale?! Damn, you Target, you filthy, lusty whore! You turn me into a junkie for design.

Design for all, indeed!

Tord isn't bad himself in that art school guy kind of way. Maybe you've seen him in the commercials. What struck me is what Linda Hales wrote about him in The Washington Post on November 26-

"Boontje was working at the cutting edge of minimalist design until 2000, when the birth of a daughter sent him on a search for fantasy and warmth. Four years later, at the Milan Furniture Fair, he hit his stride. At the invitation of the Italian design company Moroso, Boontje produced an installation of lighting and cutout fabrics, and the event, called "Happy Ever After," catapulted him to international stardom."

Should I say I usually find fantasy and warmth in a bottle of Vodka?

Oh, the mighty power of babies. Ahhhhhh...

As I was dreamily staring off into the kaliedescope of saucers, Snowflake dumped his entire bag of popcorn on the floor. A fat lady walked through it and said, "I wonder where that came from".

"From him," I smiled, distant and glazed, reaching for the first box to examine its contents. You cannot see just how cool this is from a photograph.

So yes, I now have service for four. And a candelabra. I had to substitute a few other colored bowls to complete the look as it was already partially sold out. Can you see where this is headed?

What if I actually have more than two guests one day? I'm definitely going to need service for at least eight. So tomorrow I am off to scour the countryside for the remnants of reasonable design. I want the wineglasses and more matching bowls as well. This could be an all day deal. I may just skip our chance to attempt a stab at the Guinness World Record.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! Snowflake and I can sing our little hearts out manana. I went tonight and scored nine pieces of stemware and a serving bowl, plus the completion of service for eight. I love you Tord Boontje, wherever you are. I've been singing the Target song all night... Say something new, say something new, about you... Crack whore.

Anonymous said...

Awesome stuff, girlie! I love the design! The pattern's really pretty and whimsical. You're right- it's sort of like looking into a kaleidoscope!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to stay the heck away from Target. If I know what’s good for me, which I usually don’t.

Anonymous said...

It began in November when the Danish designer Tord Boontje graced Target with his gorgeous, old fashioned yet mod Christmas designs at Target.

OMG, excuse me for double redundancy. Apologies. Obviously, I was on acid.

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of Danish designs as well. A very good call with Tord Boontje. His stuff is so elegant, modern, and always interesting. I'm so jealous!

Anonymous said...

I'm completely designer illiterate...I do know that nothing comes between brooke and her calvins, but that's as much as I know. Sigh. If I had any room in our little condo for 'christmas dishes', however, these are mighty nice and I'd have to get some. As it is, I guess I'll have to come by your place for some din-din. ;)

Enjoy singing non-religious Christmas Carols, fa la la la la, la la la la....

Since I went and read that post from last year, I have to know...um, Snowflake outgrew the biting, right?

Anonymous said...

These dishes could be used year round really.

Oh J- Snowflake has outgrown the biting. Ironically though I'm just stressed out. I may finally be breaking down. Today I felt as though I just wanted to run away. I couldn't get a good breath. Ugh. Tomorrow is another day.

Anonymous said...

I love Tord's stuff...I have been a fan for a few years....Habitat started carrying his fantastical designs several years ago. I have been trying to figure out how I can incorporate his designs into my style....I am thinking it may be a bit to girly for me, but I do love the intricate designs...maybe I can buy some red arland to hang against my stark white curtains for the holidays....whatdaya think?

Anonymous said...

I work just around the corner from the London Habitat flagship. Dangerous.
Mind you, our designer(ish) furniture trajectory can be tracked in a downward spiral from Heals cherrywood chests of drawers through John Lewis and so ondown to (gulp) IKEA. That's what toddlers and a London mortgage will do to ya...

I do maintain a fascination with Muji - IKEA for aspiring (and failing) Zen Buddhists.