Tuesday, September 26, 2006

To Canterbury

It's late. The house is blissfully dark and quiet, save for the precious little snores of FrankPierce and GingerRodgers. It's a twist to their given names and they dig it. It's raining and I can hear the drops tapping and splooching against the thin glass of these old windows as the cars hiss by.

There is a certain something about fall rain. When it does, it seems steady and constant. Comforting and rythmic. Dampness and cold. The kind of cold that when I go to bed, it seems to take me hours to warm up. I lay there for an hour kicking my legs and ice block feet together to get some friction going and then decide to put on some pants. A half an hour after that, maybe a sweatshirt. Fuck I hate wearing socks to bed, but maybe... Two or three hours later I decide I need another blanket.

Maybe this is how it starts. The circulation slowly goes, stiffness in the morning as arthritis sets in. I am as blind as a bat without my contacts or glasses. Heading West I wish I had some directions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should call her HotLips?(ps she's not fixed YET(Oct 11) ).

Anonymous said...

Wow...so cold already in WI? Still mid 80s here during the day. We haven't even put a blanket on our bed yet...just the duvet cover and a sheet. I lived in Alaska as a child, and I remember when it started cooling off in August (our hottest month in CA)...deep snow by Halloween. Sometimes, I miss the cold. But not being cold in bed. I like to be cozy in bed.

I think you should invest in a nice electric blanket. Seriously, the bed would be SO cozy then, and you wouldn't need socks.

I wish we had fall rain. I love rain, except for the wet dog thing. Enjoy!