Monday, September 18, 2006

From Ed & Martha

I have the most beautiful heirloom concord grapevine growing on the side of my house, disguising the screen porch in total lushness. Once my grandparents, I can remember it growing thick on the trellis on the side of their white front porch, opposite the swing. It was given to them by their neighbors in the 1940's and was already very old. When my grandmother died, I took this vine and planted it in 1995.

My sweet blackberry pug loved the grapes on this vine. Near the end of August you could always find him, even half blind snorteling and chorteling around like a truffle sniffing pig hitting pay dirt. Twice I made the most amazing preserves from it's bountiful dripping vines. Sugar and grapes and nothing in between.

To smell the real grapey grape is incredible. The aroma is heavenly. I love the fact that I have this vine and can share it with Snowflake. I love that he loves it. These are the amazingly cool things to give your kid one day. Thanks granny and gramps.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How great that you have this reminder of your grandparents and eerily similar to one I have of mine. My grandparents also had a concorde grapevine that ran across the yard across from their porch swing. We'd sit on the swing and eat grapes. Last week I bought a big bag of them and the smell brought me back...

Anonymous said...

How Sweet. Thanks for bringing back the memories. I remember many a fun day at my grandparents grapevine. And I also loved the apple trees,pear trees, peach trees, and that good ole watermelon patch!

Those are the best types of memories little Snowflake could ask for!

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful pictures of Snowflake. Can't wait to hear about your new doggie escapades...how was the first night?

Anonymous said...

My grandma had some lovely grapevines, too. Wish I had known HOW to take a cutting and grow it, and that if I had done so, had a place to put the grapes. They were Thompson Seedless, I think, not the kind you make juice out of, but yummy table grapes just the same.

Anonymous said...

Grapes grown free of all that gunk are so amazing! I'm glad we all have these cool memories to share and relate to! Snowflake IS my muse, but everyone should really check out Anniem's new bambina. Beautiful! A new little girl!