Sunday, September 24, 2006

Book? What's a book?

Once upon a time I was a fair english major. I even have a degree somewhere. I'm almost shamed to write this because it has been so long since I've been able to READ an entire book and I love books, LOVE them. Way back I thought I even might become a Professor of such things. I was meandering over at J's place and was tagged to do this book meme. It's gonna be a little different though. Not too current and pretty old skool.

One book that changed your life:

I guess it really wasn't a book per se, but rather a few female authors. I had an amazing high school lit teacher named Ms. Thorson. It was in her class that I first read "Good Country People" by Flannery O'Connor and "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson McCullers. Both of these authors were so different from the usual big dick Hemingways of the typical HS syllabus. These two lovelies and their eccentric characters and sad tales made me want to be like them, to write stories. They are the reason why I wanted to major in english instead of economics, education, crap. Writing is life.

Anybody care to identify this kick ass sentence?(one of my faves and not from the above girls) NO GOOGLE-ING!

The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult I vowed revenge.


One book you read more than once:

Jane Eyre Call me a gothic whore, but I fell in love with the Bronte Sisters in college. Rochester, even with one good eye is a prince. True love conquers all, even if it takes years and years. Or one entire good lifetime. See, I still have hope.

One book you want on a desert island:

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. Back in the day I was so in love with the idea of arriving in Paris with only $5 that I gobbled up every morsel of Henry I could find. Food, sex, writing and art. Just the basics.


One book that made you cry:

Part of me wants to nod to Carson McCullers and "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter", but I think my heart will always belong to Holden Caufield. Sweet dear Holden. It strikes so many chords with me. I read this to my belly bump when I was preggo. I was suprised at how the themes still resonated with me even at 37. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it is the novel "Catcher in the Rye" by J. D. Salinger.


One book that made you laugh:

"Clara - The Story of the Pug that Ruled My Life" by Margo Kaufman. If you're a dog lover you may laugh, if you're a pug lover you will know exactly what she's writing about. R.I.P Margo.


One book you wish would have been written:


Serious Advice on Single Mothering - No Bullshit Hootchie Mamma Wannabe's Allowed(Anyone Can Squeeze Out a Kid and "Call" themselves a Mother)

One book you wish had never been written:

The Old Man and the Sea by HardOn Hemingway


One book you are currently (re)reading (again & again):

Sam & Gus by P.D. Eastman, Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess, and mnay more that are currently in the rotation. Currently reading "The Paris Review Book of Heartbreak, Madness, Sex, Love Betrayal, Outsiders, Intoxication, War, Whimsy, Horrors, God, Death, Dinner, Baseball, Travels, The Art of Writing AND Everything Else in the World Since 1953". Nuggets of Goodness, I tell you. See if you can find the short story "The Fine Art of Sighing" by Bernard Cooper. Big sigh.

One book you have been meaning to read:

Way back, J was reading "The Time Traveller's Wife" and I thought it sounded interesting so I picked it up a few months ago. Also, "The Secret Lives of Bees". I've also been meaning to read "A Cook's Tour". I like-a Anthony Bourdain, lots.


Three people you will tag:

Um k, J. This has taken me almost two hours to do and I don't have any links in yet! Ugh. Screw it. So if you're really interested in my books you'll just have to Amazon it yourself.

I know I'd love to tag M, D, A, A, R, L, P, C, R, C, CG, LE, J, J, C and of course the wonderful MG. I just can't decide so I leave it up to you. Is there anybody out there?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you did a kickass job on this one. :) I'm glad I tagged you. I also LOVED "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter". Another classic was "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn". Did you ever read that?

Believe it or not, I STILL haven't read "Catcher in the Rye", though I have it on my bookshelf and have every good intention of reading it. I'll move it to the pile next to my bed, where it has a better chance. ;)

Yeah, the Bronte's rock. I love them as well. Don't tell Ms. Austin. I'm not sure she would approve, and I love her, too.

I couldn't place your quote, so I cheated and Googled. I won't mention it, because someone else might want to play fair. I have read that book, but others by the same author I love as well. (Tthat was kind of a weird sentence structure, huh?)

I love Sam and Gus, but I like "Are you my mother?" perhaps even more, because it's fun to do funny voices for all of the animals, and of course, the snort. ;) And my heart will always belong to the Lorax and the Sneetches. Ah, good times.

You might look at Swami on Rye for Snowflake. Well, more for you now, but later on, he'll love it too. http://www.amazon.com/Swami-Rye-Max-India/dp/0670856460/sr=1-7/qid=1158795000/ref=sr_1_7/104-4309225-1245551?ie=UTF8&s=books

Is that the longest comment ever? I could talk for days about books. I'm glad you played. :)

Anonymous said...

Did mine

Anonymous said...

J Excellent commet. Let me know what you think of Catcher in the Rye if you get to it. I will check that out! Cool Dino-Cat! Love it!

Anonymous said...

I can't promise anything but I will try to answer the questions. I will let you know when I do. I have to first remember what books I have read.

Anonymous said...

Ooops. sorry I missed this. I suck...I am not tag worthy!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, my blog did not link to my name. Grrr....

Anonymous said...

"Serious Advice on Single Mothering - No Bullshit Hootchie Mamma Wannabe's Allowed(Anyone Can Squeeze Out a Kid and "Call" themselves a Mother)"

I love it, I love it, I love it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Okay. . .I finally did mine!!!! :-) I'm pretty darn slow, so I guess that I was NOT worth the tag!! ;-)