Wednesday, September 24, 2008

about Bob

I found this student art project in pieces in the dumpster by the university art dept. this past spring. I thought, COOL! outdoor sculpture. Constructed of grocery store bouncy balls, Plaster of Paris and gauze, the creature was painted the color of Kraft macaroni and cheese powder. Well, after 11 rolls of duct tape I wasn't as enthusiastic. SF enjoyed riding his creature in the backyard all summer. I decided it would be a good idea get rid of it before it decayed through the winter and became a 300lb mess in the spring.

bob_bw.jpg

My friend helped me haul it to the curb and just then, the neighbors across the street came home and their little boy came over.

"Where did you get that?" he asked.

"Out of the dumpster at the UW."

"Why would you go in a dumpster? What is it?"

"It's a creature."

"What do you call it?"

"Why don't you name it?"(Ahhhh! Now I recall SF called this "strawberry")

"How about Bob?"

"Sounds good."

The next morning when SF woke up he said, "I have to check and see if Bob is still there"...patter, patter, patter..."Mommy! He's still there. He must be meant to be ours!"

Around lunchtime I received a text saying a Jeep full of hysterically laughing hospital workers picked him up. They were laughing so hard they couldn't speak but got enough out to say it was for a prank. Off he goes in a car full of chicks.

Bon voyage, Bob and Happy Trails!

No comments: