Friday, October 27, 2006

Halloween Ass Kiss

It's been brewing for a while, like a witch's steaming cauldron. I'm a little pissed off. Okay, hormones may play a part in today's tirade, but I don't care. This year in our fine upstanding community of Bumblefuckton, Trick or Treating is on Sunday from 1-4pm. Did you hear me my fellow Halloween revellers? SUNDAY FROM 1 TO 4PM!

For ef's sake! Who wants to celebrate Halloween on October 29th, DURING THE DAY? Spooky! Scary! Damn, this fries my fritters. Some say it's safer. Some say it's more convenient. I would personally like to rent a bullhorn and go down to the town square and tell those who decided this for all of us a few years ago to kiss my ass.

A few years ago I could have cared less. I had no Mini Me to pass the ritual on to. This year Snowflake has TWO costumes. Yeah, two. I suppose we will go on Sunday during the day, and then travel to one of the small surrounding communities where they still celebrate Halloween on Halloween.

There is something about being a kid, wearing a costume and actually going out into the frigid fall night on Halloween. The woodsmoke in the air, jack-o-lanterns glowing, there is a certain sense of authentic spookiness. It's just not the same thing on a Sunday afternoon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was little...we lived in Fairbanks, Alaska, and there was a lot of snow by Halloween. You could never tell what any of the kids were supposed to be dressed up as, because we had to cover our costumes up with hats and parkas and gloves. But we didn't care. Out into the cold night we went!

And duh, stupid rule. Tell them to celebrate Christmas on a convenient Saturday, see what they say.

Anonymous said...

Since when does someone get to decide when you celebrate Halloween?

How about letters to the editor for a Bring Back Halloween campaign? A formal protest that deciding when to celebrate holidays is not in the official charter of the agency who decided this?

Anonymous said...

I like the way you think, J. I was thinking we could just put all of our holidays in one glorious jam packed week. Dickheads.

MG- That is an excellent idea. I may be just the girl to spearhead such a campaign. I think our city council snuck it by a few years ago. We live in a very screwy city with a population of 40000 or so and only a fraction will vote, like say 4000 or so. I could be wrong on the exact figure, but it's pretty disgusting.

Anonymous said...

Leave it to a polish girl to go blindly into a rant. Jack-Ass-O-Ween is on Sunday from 4-7. I was just informed by the ever exacting Glamgranola. Thanks, little bird. I'm still pissed off though. Apologies for my mistake eveyone.

Anonymous said...

That's still weird that they want to mandate on what date and at what time you can celebrate Halloween. Hmm, perhaps having Thanksgiving on a Thursday is awkward, I hope they don't try to move it to Friday. By mandate of the council, no turkeys shall be baked, roasted, deep fried or burned until Friday!!!...