Thursday, May 04, 2006

Booooooorrrrriiiinnnngggggg

I look good, I feel good, but I'm bored, BORED, bOrEd! I never thought I'd be sitting here one day saying to myself, "Gee Heid, do you realize it's been eleven whole days since a solid morsel of food has passed your lips?" Hell no. The plus side is a definite euphoria once you pass the headache/hunger stage. Extending it really firms your body up quickly. I think if you're a person who has problem areas(maybe a little belly or thighs), it could be your ticket to a plastic surgery free love in with yourself.

On the down side, last night I took The Chidler for what I thought would be a walk/jog. Although I had energy, I had to slow down. I couldn't jog for more than one block. My plan is to terminate the foodless bliss on Saturday or Sunday. Life can be very boring with out the social bond of food. Twice Snowflake tried to pass me one of his treats and I had to refuse. I think this confused him a bit but I told him I wasn't hungry.

I haven't had any wild revelations except for the fact that most of us eat way too much. I include myself. Food is one of the great pleasures in life. I think we can take it for granted, abuse it and end up hurting ourselves. I think J had a really interesting comment about our culture(if we have one) being ingrained with the three meals a day dogma from way back. I had a friend who was a lusty rotund tomato type and she ALWAYS had to eat breakfast, lunch and din-din everyday. And she'd be a crabby bitch if she didn't get her fix.

Last week, even Dooce had a humorous post about eating as self medicating. I agree ice cream can be a great substitue for your ills. Food is an acceptable alternative to booze, smokes, pot, crack, smack etc. until you approach behemothness. Then you are really ostracized and marginalized by society. Unless you're a prescription pill popper, I think all of us medicate in our own ways.

People seem very concerned when I tell them how long it's been since I ate. They cannot fathom the idea. Funny how I look rosy cheeked and have most of the nergy( I just realized this typo, but I'm leaving it because this post is soooo effing nerdy that I must be filled will what can only be known as nergy) I normally have. I didn't go into this as an extremist, I had my coffee and a few glasses of vino along the way. Nothing in the extreme is good to me. I want to enjoy it all. I want to be healthy and live at least to see Snowflake's adulthood and possible bambinos. I want to know them. I also want to eat a mouthwatering piece of watermelon after I indulge in a nice Giordano's pie with a glass of Zinfandel(RED of course, not the girl drink drunk white sort) It has been good. I am in touch with myself. I know some of the things I ate before I will never eat again. I feel fresher, newer, more alive. That's worth it.

But I'm still bored.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so impressed that you've been able to fast for so long. You've absolutely inspired me. I find it hard to imagine not eating with my husband, but I'm gonna give it a try.

Anonymous said...

The one thing I saw, reading about fasting, is that you shouldn't do it to lose weight...because your metabolism slows down so much during the fast, it will grab on when you start eating again...so go slow, and don't be surprised if you gain a bit back.

I've never known anyone who fasted this long before, except my mom, who did it to lose weight, and I'm just amazed at how well you've been feeling through it all. Truly interesting. :)

I'm with you on the wine, too...white zin isn't my thing either. (I mostly do chardonnay, because the tannins in reds give me bad sinus headaches...red is definately yummy, though!)

Anonymous said...

I'm no saint. I just did it to cleanse the cobwebs, if you will. I have supplemented with the fabuloso Naked Juice "Green Machine"(labeled a 'superfood'), so it's not like I'm existing on love and air alone. I don't think my body is that toxic. I am of the mind that we are recommended to eat way too much protein in this country. The Cattlemen and the Dairy board are walking hand in hand... eating all that protein is exactly WHY you need to eat all that calcium. If you don't your body will leach it out of your bones causing osteoporosis. Not a good thing for most people.

I didn't fast to lose weight although I'm sure it's been a side effect. I don't believe in weighing myself. I hate scales! Everyone knows HOW they feel when they feel good on the inside. I am also a pretty active mamma.

Food is so much more than mere food. Lotus, my foodie girl I can totally see why you'd miss din-din with your hub. Food is a bond of many sorts that we share in many ways. It's presentation makes it even greater. Celebrations, funerals, romances are usually accompanied by some food that can putrid or exquisite. Food makes memories and it makes us. It's a great part of being alive, no doubt. I love food and this experience has made me appreciate it more.

Sometimes I take an anti histimine before I drink red wine (histimines in red wine can stuff you up) and all is then right with the world.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....never thought of that...antihistimines make me sleepy...maybe there are kinds that wouldn't?

Yeah, I didn't think you had done the fast to lose weight...but it was a by product, obviously, and I just remembered reading about how it's not a long term effective weight loss thing, due to the metabolism slowing so much.

I've seen the green 'superfood' at the store...Maya had it once, I think, she liked it.

Anonymous said...

I get bored too Heid...we all do from time to time...I swear though that I have adult ADD...I am always looking for a new adventure...but remember it's OK to be in neutral for a bit but then slam it into D...and go forward! Maybe you and SF should move down here...and make up for the 11 years you never visited me...but I am not bitter.....LOL! I am planning on coming home the weekend of the 19th...I will let you know fer sher....I am off to the gym and nudie beach now...I am never bored at nudie beach! just ask my cuz and Pedro how much fun it is...ask her if they would like some shrimp and pinot grigio...but ask her in a New York accent...she will laugh!